Mar 16, 2022
RECIPE OF THE MONTH: AN ODE TO THE IRISH
Chef Jason’s Guinness Braised Beef Short Ribs may be your new favorite St. Patrick's Day recipe. Give it a try – your tastebuds are sure to thank you!
Guinness Braised Beef Short Ribs
Whipped Potatoes / Lemon / Winter Radishes
Serves 4-6 / Prep time: 30 min. / Cook time: 3 Hours 30 minutes
4 pounds bone in beef short ribs
2ea Guinness stout
3cups beef broth
1 ea leek
4ea garlic cloves
6ea baby carrots, peeled
1ea lemon, paper thinly sliced
3ea radishes, paper thinly sliced
1ea sprig of rosemary
1lb brussels sprouts
4-6ea Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, quartered into chunks
1cup heavy cream
1/4c olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Dry short ribs with paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the short ribs on all sides, about 2-3 minutes each side. Remove browned short ribs to a plate and discard most of the fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Lower the heat and add garlic cloves and leeks to the pan, cook to a golden brown, for about 5 minutes.
- Add Guinness beer, short ribs, beef broth, 1/4 cup of butter, sprig of rosemary, carrots and brussels sprouts.
- Bring to a boil, once boiling cover and transfer to the oven.
- While short ribs are cooking, place the Yukon gold potatoes in a large pot an cover with water. Cook potatoes for about 30 minutes. Strain potatoes and set aside. Place 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 cup of butter in pot and heat over medium flame. Add Yukon gold potatoes and using a heavy whisk break up potatoes till smooth and creamy. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cook until short ribs are very tender about 3 hours.
- Remove the short ribs and vegetables and set aside. Strain The remaining liquid through a fine meshed sieve into a saucepan. Cook on a low heat till liquid is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove any excess fat as the liquid is reducing. Season the sauce with salt & pepper.
- To serve place a scoop of potatoes in the center of the plate, place the short rib in the center, spoon some of the reduced braising liquid over the beef and arrange brussels sprouts and carrots around the short ribs. Garnish with fresh sliced lemon and radishes, enjoy!