Mar 16, 2023
Recipe of the Month: A Shepherd’s Pie Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day
Chef Jason’s hearty Shepherd’s Pie may be your new favorite St. Patrick's Day recipe. Give it a try at home or at TD Garden – available at Society Provisions on Level 5 for a limited time.
Beef / Root Vegetables / Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4 / Cook time: 70 minutes
- 1 lb. wagyu ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roasted
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 2 tbsp. violet mustard
- 2 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet, brown the wagyu ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, and celery root for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the cooked beef back to the pan and stir to combine.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the violet mustard, beef broth, Guinness beer, Worcestershire sauce, and dried thyme. Pour the mixture into the pan and bring to a simmer.
6. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potatoes and mash with the heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and butter until smooth.
8. Stir the root vegetables into the beef mixture and transfer it to a 9-inch square baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, spreading them evenly over the beef mixture.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are golden brown and the filling is heated through.
10. Let the shepherd's pie cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!